The eviction process

Part IV – Sheriffs Lockout

PArt IV – Post Judgement Actions



The Eviction Notice

Sheriff’s lockout


Once a Writ of Possession is issued by the Court, a “lockout” by the sheriff can begin.  Landlords will need to provide the Sheriff a copy of the writ of possession, instruction, and pay the fee for the lockout.  A sheriff will then post a notice on the premises notifying all the tenants living on the property that they will be forcibly removed on the date listed on the notice.  At the date listed on the lockout notice, the landlord will need to be at the premises when the Sheriff arrives to change the lock with a locksmith.  



Abandoned Property


If any personal property is left abandoned on the property, it is the landlord’s responsibility to store it in a safe place and give notice to the ex-tenants.  Abandoned property has its own laws to follow (see, “Abandoned Property“).




Once the eviction process is complete, and the tenant has been removed from the premises, the landlord can sue to collect damages.  The landlord can request judgement for back rent, court costs, attorney fees (if allowed), and other damages (i.e., late fees).  However, it may be more prudent for a landlord to forgo collecting past due rent if the tenant is a “judgment-proof.”  This means that the tenant has no means of paying past due rent and time, money, and resources may be wasted in trying to collect monetary damages.




<—- Part III – Contested Evictions —- Eviction Process Overview —->

The Eviction Process

ask us a question

Email Now for a quick Question and Answer.

Ask & Answer

telephone us now

Call Now for a more In-Dept Review of your Situation.

Call Us Now

in-person consult

Come Visit Us in person.  Just call to set up a time.

Set an Appointment